Congratulations to our Family Recipe Showdown contest winners! After some mouth watering deliberation we’re proud to present to you this year’s winners!
by Hidemi W.
- 2 cups Uncooked Japanese Rice or Sushi Rice
- 1/2 cup Rice Vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Avocado
- 2 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 2 Eggs
- 8 oz Smoked Salmon
- Rinse rice several times in running water until water gets clear. Drain in a colander. Cook in a sauce pan with a lid or rice cooker according to package directions. Note, just a little bit less water than package directions so that rice is cooked a little bit harder. (To make perfect sushi rice, rice should be cooked little bit harder than regular rice)
- While rice is cooking, in a small bowl, combine rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Make finely scrambled eggs. In a lightly oiled frying pan, pour the beaten eggs and stir with 4-5 chopsticks quickly and constantly to make finely scrambled eggs. If you don’t have chopsticks, make sure to stir quickly and constantly with fork, not to stir roughly.
- In a bowl, scoop avocado pulp and mash. Add cream cheese, and mayonnaise. Mix well.
- When rice is done, transfer to the medium bowl and add 2 and mix gently. Don’t stir too much. Let it cool.
- In a cake pan, place plastic wrap on the bottom of the pan, and put in scrambled eggs. Then place half of the sushi rice. Flatten the rice with fork (wet with water). Then put avocado cream cheese mixture on the sushi rice, and place the rest of the sushi rice. Press with wet fork hard to settle. Let it stand for about half an hour until sets.
- Turn the cake pan upside down onto the plate. Remove plastic wrap. Put smoked salmon shaped roses and a couple of leaves of spinach. Serve.
*To make rose-shaped smoked salmon, cut each piece of smoked salmon into half-1 inch length. Roll one piece by one piece with fingers until the size you want to make.
Peanut Butter Creams
by Elizabeth H.
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup peanut butter
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Drop small round balls of dough onto waxed paper.
- Chill for at least a half hour.
- They are ready to eat!